Saturday, April 14, 2012

Sorry I'm Lazy... Day 5! The Whayne's

Last night was day 5. I'm late I know! I was just so stinkin' tired last night I laid down and went to bed, shortly after I got home. Well, that's a lie, there was a little bit of bon fire in there but HEY I'm allowed to have a little fun right? I thought so.

So, why don't we get back to the point, eh? Last night I cooked for one of my favorite ladies Sheryl Whayne and her great family Ron, Ellie & Zephram ( I love his name! So unique) 


Now Sheryl is like Super-Chef, so I was pretty nervous I would screw it up! But I think I did pretty well! We had Orange Glazed Chicken w/ Rice & Italian Green Beans. I skipped the beans because they are SICKNAST! But I thoroughly enjoyed the rest!


This was basically our dinner, sans oranges because mine were frozen and we had white rice instead of wild rice. BUT I FORGOT TO TAKE A PICTURE!!! Typical Jess...

Time to make some food people!

Orange Glazed Chicken w/ White Rice & Italian Green Beans

Ingredients:
1 tbsp butter or margarine
6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 can (14 ½ oz) Swanson ready to serve clear vegetable broth
½ cup sweet orange marmalade or apple jelly
1 tsp lemon juice
6 cups hot cooked rice
½ bag of frozen Italian peas, steamed
1 large orange
(Serves 6)

Method:
1. In 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat, in hot margarine, cook ½ of the chicken 10 minutes or until browned on both sides. Remove, set aside and repeat with the 2nd half.
2. In small bowl, stir together cornstarch, broth, marmalade and lemon juice until smooth.
3. Add to skillet, cook, uncovered, until mixture boils and thickens, stirring constantly.
4. Return chicken to skillet & reduce heat to low.
5. Cook 5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink, stirring often. Serve with rice.
6. Garnish rice with parsley & orange slices.
*Tip* start heating water for rice at step 3.

*The rice is easy-peasy. It's a cup of water to a cup of rice. Boil the water and add the rice. :)

*The beans are simple as well. Place beans in a sealable, microwave safe container to cook. For a whole bag add 1/2 cup of water and cook for 8-10 minutes, and for a 1/2 bag add a 1/4 cup and cook for 6-8 minutes. (unless your package says differently) Season to taste :)

No comments:

Post a Comment