Saturday, April 28, 2012

Day 19 - "Myles & Kayla"

*I felt that I needed to make a special note before starting the actual post to explain something you will read but not understand if I don't explain. When we (our church) went to Flint to work for the M&M (Ministries & Michigan) Project we gave our Pastor Jon the nickname PJ. I think you can clearly figure out the reason. So when I refer to PJ now you know who I am talking about*

Not sure if you noticed or not, but I used quotes around Myles & Kayla. I did that for one reason, it ended up not just being Myles & Kayla. First, I added a helper, Mallory. Then my cousin Sam was coming. Then, I invited Matt over. THEN I invited PJ over. So it became quite a crowd at the Ridgway house. My parents were home, but they weren't invited to the party. So now I post the picture from last night & you will notice something strange. It's ONLY of Kayla & Myles. Yep, I'm lame and I forgot. Or was it because the others were LAMER PARTY POOPERS and left right after dinner. I'm pretty sure it was the 2nd.


Now, I've told you previously that I have only had part of one dish that I didn't like. The Vinaigrette rice from Day 8. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell My continued streak of delicious dishes ended Friday, April 27th approximately 8:30PM. Yes, I remember the time of day it happened. We had *I shudder at the thought* Doritos Cheesy Chicken Casserole. I may have not have hated it so much if there wasn't so many chunks in it. HOWEVER, it had lots of salsa, mushroom, corn chunks in it. So it was SICKNAST. End. Of. Story.

Oh, but that really isn't the end of the story. I did save the meal. Wanna know how????? I made the most delicious imitation Red Lobster biscuits to ever grace this earth with their presence. Yes, they were THAT GOOD! (even though I started to cook them on wax paper. How should I know that's bad?) 

I suppose if you like chunks in your food, like the boys do, you will like this recipe:

Doritos Cheesy Chicken Casserole

Ingredients:
3 cups cooked chicken, chopped (I used a rotisserie chicken)
8 oz sour cream
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 1/2 cups salsa or 1 can Rotel
1 can of corn, drained
2 cups Mexican cheese, shredded
1 bag of nacho cheese Doritos

Method:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Lightly spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray.  Crush the entire bag of Doritos and cover the bottom of the dish.  Reserve one cup of cheese.   Mix together remaining ingredients in a large bow.  Pour chicken mixture over the Doritos.  Bake for 20 min. Top casserole with the remaining cheese and bake 5 additional minutes or until melted.

Red Lobster Biscuits

Ingredients:
Biscuits:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder (I used 1/2 tsp)
1/2 tsp salt (I used 1 tsp)
2 tbsp shortening
3 tbsp butter, cold (or room temp works)
1 cup buttermilk (or 1 cup milk & 1 1/2 tsp vinegar. Let them sit together until little bubbles form on top, approx. 10 minutes)
1 1/4 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese (I use a full 2 cups)


Buttery Topping:
3 tbsp butter, melted
1/4 tsp dried parsley flakes
3/4 tsp garlic powder


Method:
Preheat over to 350 degrees.


In medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, garlic powder & salt. Cut in shortening & butter until coarse crumbs are formed. Lightly mix in grated cheese. Mix in buttermilk just until moist (dry spots here & there are ok - the biscuits will be tough if over-mixed.) Drop the biscuits onto greased or lined (WITH PARCHMENT PAPER, NOT WITH WAX PAPER) baking sheet. Bake for 12-14 minutes, until browned & golden.


While biscuits are baking, in a small bowl combine butter, parsley, garlic powder & salt. Right when the biscuits come out of the oven, brush them with the buttery mixture & serve.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE THE EMPHASIS ON THE PARCHMENT PAPER

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't want anyone else to make that mistake! haha

    ReplyDelete