Monday, April 16, 2012

Day 7 - Linda Amsler & the Dodge's

Sunday was an extra special day. I wasn't cooking for 1 family, or 2 families, I cooked for FIVE FAMILIES! Well 5 & 1/2 technically if you count my niece and nephew. I cooked lunch for my parents, Linda Amsler, The Dodge's and Myles. I had my sister Kayla (forced her really) to help me cook it, so it wasn't as much work as it sounds.


Starting in front and working my way clockwise you have my mom in the red dress, My dad, Steve & Jackie Dodge, Linda Amsler, Kayla, Daisy, Myles and Tyler. Big crowd all jammed at that little table, but we made it work! 

Kayla & I cooked up a double batch of Chicken Stroganoff w/ egg noodles. A little chicken, a little veggies, a little sauce. Cook it all up and you've got an easy meal that even the kids will eat up! Trust me, we are the pickiest kids on the planet and we chowed down! Oh and did I mention there was vanilla/chocolate Oreo ice cream cake for dessert???? Oh yea, that totally happened!

Recipe time!

Chicken Stroganoff w/ Egg Noodles

Ingredients:
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast diced
5 oz can mushrooms
1 large onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 green bell pepper
½ tsp paprika powder
1 tbsp all-purpose flour
½ tsp mustard powder
1 cup chicken broth
½ cup sour cream
2 tbsp butter
1 (10 oz) box spiral noodles
Salt & pepper
(Serves 4)

Method:
*Cook noodles according to packaging*
1. Cut Chicken in strips or pieces.
2. Cut 1 medium bell pepper into pieces.
3. Cut onion into quartered rings.
4. Drain mushrooms & slice if whole.
5. Mix up 1 slightly heaping tbsp all-purpose flour & ½ tsp mustard powder.
6. Heat 1 tbsp butter and cook chicken until tender.
7. Heat another tbsp butter & sauté bell pepper & onion for 2 minutes before adding the mushrooms. Cook until mushrooms have softened, then add garlic and cook for 30 more seconds.
8. Add the flour, stir & cook for a minute to neutralize rawness.
9. Pour in 1 cup chicken broth, stir well, add chicken strips and bring to a boil.
10. Season with ½ tsp salt – though this depends on how salty your broth is – and a good bit of pepper. Simmer without lid for 5 minutes.
11. Add ½ tsp paprika powder, ½ a cup sour cream, stir & simmer for another 5 minutes.

2 comments: