Saturday, April 28, 2012

Day 20 - The Betz's

Or is it just Betz'? I'm horrible with grammar & spelling.

I'm just going to come out with it up-front. I was dreading tonight's meal. Chicken Enchilada Pasta???????????????????????? I've told you about my distaste for chunks in my food. This is Mexican, full of chunks food! But I can honestly say that I gave it a fair shot. And... and... I LIKED IT!!! Yes, me, the one who only orders chicken tenders everywhere I go ate chicken enchilada pasta and like it. The Apocalypse is happening, prepare yourself now! :)

I was also kinda iffy about tonight's dinner because I really don't know the Betz family very well. I kinda turn into "awkward, shy girl" when I'm around people I don't know, but they made me feel so welcome there was not one iota of "awkward, shy girl" anywhere in the whole process. YAY, I'm double proud of myself for tonight! This night alone makes the WHOLE process worth it. :)

Here's the wonderful Betz family


As you can see, Sophie is having a full-out meltdown. Maybe it was my cooking. :(
And Erik is so over it! haha ok so I made that last part up, but he totally looks like he's over it! That's my story & I'm sticking to it!


OH! I almost forgot! The Betz got me the cutest little plant/flower ever! I love it!




Please, do me a solid and try this recipe!

Chicken Enchilada Pasta

Ingredients:
2-3 chicken breasts, cooked & shredded {or shredded rotisserie chicken…I used the breasts}
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium onion, diced
1 red pepper, diced
1 {4 oz.} can diced green chiles
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. cumin
2 {10 oz.} cans green chili enchilada sauce
2/3 cups red enchilada sauce
2 cups shredded cheese {I used colby & monterrey jack}
1 cup sour cream
Penne pasta

Optional toppings
Avocado
Green Onions
Black Olives
Tomatoes
Sour Cream


Method:
Cook chicken, drain, and shred {or shred your rotisserie}.  

Meanwhile boil pasta according to package and chop the veggies. 

Heat the olive oil in a deep skillet and cook onions for about 3-5 minutes.  Add garlic & red pepper and cook for another 3-5 minutes. 

Add cooked chicken, green chiles, cumin, chili powder, salt, & enchilada sauces.  Let sauce simmer for about 8-10 minutes.

Add cheese and stir until the cheese is melted and heated through.  Now toss in the sour cream, but whatever you do, DO NOT bring to a boil!  Cook on low heat or the sour cream will curdle.  Gross.  Stir until sour cream is well mixed and heated through.

Drain pasta & return to pot.  Pour sauce over pasta, mix well & serve. 

*OPTIONAL* garnish with avocado, tomato, green onion, and a dollop of sour cream.

2 comments:

  1. Uh, you fooled me...I didn't think you were a shy gal! The meal was wonderful and we had enough leftovers to get another dinner out of it! What a blessing! Thanks again, Jess.
    Cheri Betz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a rarity... I normally get really quiet around people I don't know very well. You guys just made it so easy for me! I had a blast over at the house :)

      Delete