Wednesday, May 9, 2012

American Idol: It's Performance Day!

Here we go again kids. It's Wednesday and you know what that means! American Idol performance day. Before I get to my recap I must say that I'm sad Skylar is gone, and The Dog Randy Jackson looks like he is putting some weight back on. Maybe it's the jacket?

Let's get down to business, shall we?

Round One - California Dreamin'
Phil Phillips - Have You Ever Seen The Rain - Credence Clearwater Revival
My first thought... THIS SONG IS PERFECT FOR HIM! I was right... Like always. (other than last weeks results but I'm pretending like that never happened. Don't. Judge. Me!)

**BTW at this point of the evening my sense of smell is being assaulted by taco flavored popcorn. Someone save me!**

Hollie Cavanagh - Faithfully - Journey
Not as strong as strong as River Deep, Mountain High from last week, but it got a lot better the further along in the song she got. I think she finished strong and she picked a good song. I just wish she had the confidence she had last week.

Josh Ledet - You Raise Me Up - Secret Garden
You know I'm not a Josh fan... but you guys... HE KILLED THIS SONG!!! It really was the perfect song choice for his voice! I'm kinda sorta maybe a fan of you... but ONLY for this song. Only. This. Song.

Jessica Sanchez - Steal Away - Etta James
Typical powerhouse Jessica... YAAAAWN... I'm so over her! See... I knew my support for her wouldn't last long... 

Duets/Groups:
Josh Ledet & Phil Phillips - This Love - Maroon 5
Really??? Why are we doing this pairing again??? We didn't learn from last week??? Apparently not... BUT WAIT!! This song was so much better! It was a better balance of their voices. It didn't constantly feel like Josh was under-singing to match Phil. I actually kinda dug it... 

Jessica Sanchez & Hollie Cavanagh- Eternal Flame - The Bangles
No big surprise here, but I liked Hollie more than Jessica. I think they melded together great, but Hollie was SOLID, Jessica felt shakey.  Good job overall. Except that big note at the end... OUCH. Hollie was high, Jessica was flat. Hollie. For. The. Win!

**Sidebar - I want to see Rock Of Ages!!! Even though Tom Cruise is in it.**

Final Four - Waiting For A Girl Like You - Foreigner
Again, Josh looks bored, but he's on tune and brings it! Hollie is great, Jessica can just leave the stage and Phil... You're always awesome... Besides that whole Time Of The Season mishap from last week. I'm also going to pretend THAT never happened.

Round Two - Songs They Wish They'd Written 
Phil Phillips - Volcano - Damien Rice
This song gave me chills. I really hope Phil wins because I want NEED more of this! I totes agree with Randy, My Dog, it was his best performance to date. Nothing more needs to be said. Yay Phil!

Hollie Cavanagh - I Can't Make You Love Me - Bonnie Raitt
I love this song. I love Hollie. Please make the emotional connection, I beg of you. She sang beautifully, but I didn't fully feel that connection. Almost there, but not quite. She needed to let some of the notes simmer a little longer. That would have helped.


Josh Ledet - It's A Man's Man's Man's World - James Brown
Ok, I'll give it to him... He killed that. The most perfect song he could have ever picked EVER! Good job Josh. Enjoy tonight, because you deserved it.


Jessica Sanchez - And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going - Jennifer Holliday
While it was a good performance technically, I really didn't care for it. I just can't get on bored the Jessica Sanchez train. I'm over it.


I would like to close this evenings post with a letter to Jennifer Lopez.

Dear JLo,
What's with the hair? 
You look like a freak.
Sincerely,
The whole wide world.

No comments:

Post a Comment